Author Topic: Cedar Key Fishing Report  (Read 14871 times)

Offline Cedar Key Marina

• Hope You Have Tight Lines
  • Business or Organization
    • Cedar Key Marina
Cedar Key Fishing Report
« on: Sep 21, 2011 »
You can find nice speckled trout all over the flats, near almost any grassy bottom and along cuts and islands using Cajun Thunder corks, live shrimp or Gulp (root-beer color).

If you use a live pinfish you'll catch larger trout, maybe not as many, but more quality.

I have heard to reports of cobia's caught last week as well, around the markers, #7 thru #1.

Redfish have been plentifull too, the water temp is slowly dropping, and that means either inshore or offshore the fish are gonna lite up.

This is the same report posted in the Big Bend Fishing Reprts & Cedar Key Fishing Reports

Till next time, tight lines and safe boating
Capt. John blouse

Hooked up charters & Cedar Key Marina II
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018 by Flatlander »
Cedar Key Marina is Cedar Key's full service marina
Cedar Key Marina

Offline Flatlander

• Administrator
    • OutdoorUpdate.com
Cedar Key Inshore Fishing Report
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012 »
Here is a Cedar Key Fishing Report originally from Captain John Blouse and published on my Saltwater Fishing Reports blog.

The trout are in thick and the best reports are south of snake key in the finger channels in 5 to 10 ft of water.

Drifting and using a Cajun thunder popping cork and about 4 ft of leader line, #3 to #5 hook and baited with live shrimp, small pin-fish or gulps (new penny color).

The red fish are biting great as well, around any of the inshore oyster bars and inside dead mans channel.

A lot of cobia have been caught as well, site fishing on the flats or anchor up near channel makers, using live pin-fish, on the bottom and always have a rod ready to flip out to one that will just cruse right up to your boat.

Come On Down, The Fishing Is On Fire!

Here's a picture of a cobia that accompanied the report

Capt. John blouse
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018 by Flatlander »

Offline Flatlander

• Administrator
    • OutdoorUpdate.com
Cedar Key Offshore Fishing Report
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012 »
* Here is a Cedar Key Fishing Report originally from Captain John Blouse and published on my Saltwater Fishing Reports blog.

We are mostly targeting red grouper, seabass, king fish, and the world famous grunts (Cedar Key Snapper).

The red grouper are biting great in 50 to 75 ft of water, but can also be caught in 35 to 45 ft of water, just not as many keeper size.

Of course the gags are on fire and are everywhere, but remember, ... they are over fished, go figure.

You can use sardines, thredfins, cut mullet or menhaden. The kings are biting from 35 to 60 ft of water, look for bait pods, free line a bait or troll thru them with a top lure and a stretch 25 or 35 and hang on.

The bigger seabass have been in the 40 to 58 ft range and they are nice ones, and your grunts can be caught just about anywhere. again, come on down, the weather has been great and the fish are on fire.

Capt. John blouse
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018 by Flatlander »

Offline Hooked Up Charters

• Fishing Guide
    • Hooked Up Charters
Re: Cedar Key Inshore Fishing Report
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2012 »
Cedar Key Fishing Report (I orginally posted this in the OutdoorUpdate Fishing Report)

There have been good reports of nice trout in 10 to 15 feet of water and some on the shallow flats.

Redfish have been good sizes around corrigans reef, osenotie, north key and inshore oyster bars. A moving tide is key, using cut mullet, finger mullet, shrimp and new penny gulps. If you just want to play with something that fights n jumps, use a chum bag, any of the frozen baits of your choice, sit back and hang on.
Offshore Fishing for everything from Grouper and Snapper to King Fish, Sharks, Cobia, Spanish Mackerel, Black Sea Bass and more.
Cedar Key Fishing Guide

• Fishing Guide
    • Hooked Up Charters
Re: Cedar Key Offshore Fishing Report
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2012 »
Cedar Key Fishing Report (I orginally posted this in the OutdoorUpdate Fishing Report)

If you’re fishing offshore you can catch both gag grouper & red grouper in water as shallow as 30 ft, but there are plenty of shorts as well.

Also there have been good size sea bass in 30 to 40 ft on hard rocky bottom areas.

If you move out to 50 -60 ft, you will have a better chance of catching more keeper size grouper and the king fish are still around.

We, actually ran into a school of mahi-mahi last weekend in 45 ft of water. I noticed that most of the large bait pods were in 45 to 50 ft of water. We have been using thread fin, hearing, northern mackerel, menhaden and live pin fish for bait.

Trolling stretch 30′s works well too, just watch for the floating grass, if it gets caught up in the line it’s a pain. The water temp has been around 83 to 86, so the bite will slow down, till you go deeper.

I haven’t went after Amberjack yet since they re-opened on the 1st, but live bat will be the trick.

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2012 by Flatlander »
Offshore Fishing for everything from Grouper and Snapper to King Fish, Sharks, Cobia, Spanish Mackerel, Black Sea Bass and more.
Cedar Key Fishing Guide

• Fishing Guide
    • Hooked Up Charters
Re: Cedar Key Fishing Report
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2012 »
The Speckled Trout are starting to move in the back marsh areas and in 5 to 8ft grassy areas. The reds have been a little slow but can be caught around the islands and oyster bars. Both are being caught using live shrimp, frozen finger mullet, mud minnows and Berkley Gulp baits.

I look for the next couple of weeks bringing a little more action since the weather has been a little warmer. Also the Sheephead are biting around the docks and oyster bars and it wont be long before the big ones start their spawning in the deeper water reefs. So for real hunting come on down to Cedar Key and get your lines wet.

In 28 to 30 ft the Sea Bass are biting good and the notorious “Florida snapper” are always hungry, we’re catching both using squid or cut sardines or thread fin herring.

The Gag Grouper are there too but we can’t keep em right now :(. The Red Grouper are biting good in 48 to 60 ft, using live pin fish or frozen thread fin or sardines, I’ve caught some bigger ones on menhaden and Boston mackerel.

The Amber Jacks are thick on the wrecks and structures in 60 ft or better, we’re using live pins or diamond jigs. And by the end of the month we should be looking for Sheephead on the reefs at 25 to 30 ft.
Cedar Key Fishing Guide

• Fishing Guide
    • Hooked Up Charters
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013 »
As of now the speckled trout are still in the back marsh area. But also moving back out on the grass flats and around the island’s and sand bars.
The best reports are in the mid afternoon when the sun warms up the waters.
The deeper channels in between bars and about 5-8ft have been productive as well. The sheepshead are still biting around the piers and shallow rocks and sand trout and whiting are there also.

Hookedup
Cedar Key Fishing Guide

• Fishing Guide
    • Hooked Up Charters
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013 »
Since grouper fishing is shut down, we are mainly fishing within 9 miles. The Sea Bass and Florida snapper (white grunts) are biting good & are a good size in 25-35 ft of water on live bottom and rocky area's. The big Sheepshead are biting good out on the reefs and rock piles in water 22-30ft deep. We caught 3 over 10lbs using live shrimp, some people like to chum as well, the best is crushed oysters and shells.

I got some info on a new homemade chum made of rice, clam juice and menhaden oil mixed with saltwater to expand the rice, I'm gonna try it and let you know how it works, I'm also going to try mixing sand with it so it sinks faster, I'll let you know how it works in the next report.

John
Cedar Key Fishing Guide

• Fishing Guide
    • Hooked Up Charters
Inshore Cedar Key Fishing Report
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2013 »
Have had nice weather here in Cedar Key, there were numerous reports of catches of good size Spotted Trout and Sand Trout. The red fish are still in the Back Marsh areas but I believe by mid April the water will be in the 70′s and they'll come out and play.  Also the Spanish Mackerel will be here as well.
Cedar Key Fishing Guide